Is it an emergency?
If someone’s life is at risk because they have seriously injured themselves or taken an overdose, call 999.
If you do not feel you can keep yourself, or someone else safe from immediate risk of harm, call 999.
Need urgent help?
If you need urgent support, feel unable to cope, are worried about your own mental health or someone you care for, help is available.
NHS urgent mental health helpline
Call your local NHS urgent mental health helpline 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:
- North Staffordshire urgent mental health helpline: call 0800 0 328 728 option 1 (covers Stoke-on-Trent, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs Moorlands)
- South Staffordshire urgent mental health helpline: call 0808 196 3002 (covers Stafford, Stone, Rugeley, Cannock, South Staffs, Lichfield, Burton, Uttoxeter, Tamworth)
- Call the Samaritans – a confidential crisis support helpline, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Call 116 123
Staffordshire mental health helpline
- Call the Brighter Futures Staffordshire Mental Health Helpline 24 hours a day for confidential emotional support and a safe place to talk if you’re worried, stressed or low, or if you’re concerned about someone else.
Child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS)
Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) – support for young people experiencing emotional, behavioural or mental health difficulties:
- North Staffordshire (covers Stoke-on-Trent, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire Moorlands)
- call: 0300 123 0907 and choose option 4, 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday.
- South Staffordshire (covers Stafford, Stone, Rugeley, Cannock, South Staffordshire, Lichfield, Burton, Uttoxeter, Tamworth)
- call: 0808 196 3002
Local support groups
Mind North Staffordshire
Counselling, parent support and advice
Counselling, parent support and advice
Online recovery, wellbeing and peer support
A group for men. Find them on Facebook.
Andy’s Man Club Stafford
A support group for men. Find them on Facebook.
Womens Wellbeing Club
Peer support group meetings for women. Find them on Facebook.
Toolbox – South Staffordshire Mental Health Network
Supporting people with experience of mental illness and people at risk of mental ill health.
- phone: 07591 924728
- email: email@example.com
Need to talk?
These services are free and offer confidential advice from trained volunteers. You can talk about anything that’s troubling you, no matter how difficult:
text ‘SHOUT’ to 85258 to contact the Shout Crisis Text Line, or text ‘YM’ if you’re under 19
Help with specific issues
Providing support if you have been diagnosed with an anxiety condition.
- Anxiety UK website
- phone: 03444 775 774 (Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 10.00pm, Saturday to Sunday, 10.00am to 8.00pm)
Support and helpline for people with eating disorders.
A charity helping people living with manic depression or bipolar disorder.
Calm (Campaign against living miserably)
Campaign Against Living Miserably, for men aged 15 to 35
Men’s Health Forum
24/7 stress support for men by text, chat and email
- Men’s Health Forum website
Mental Health Foundation
Provides information and support for anyone with mental health problems or learning disabilities
- Mental Health Foundation website
Voluntary charity offering support for sufferers of panic attacks and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). Offers a course to help overcome your phobia or OCD.
- No Panic website
- phone: 0844 967 4848 (daily, 10.00am to 10.00pm). Calls cost 5p per minute plus your phone provider’s access charge
Support for people with OCD. Includes information on treatment and online resources.
- OCD Action website
- phone: 0845 390 6232 (Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 5.00pm). Calls cost 5p per minute plus your phone provider’s access charge
A charity run by people with OCD, for people with OCD. Includes facts, news and treatments.
For young people under 35 at risk of suicide
Monday to Friday, 10.00am to 10.00pm, and 2.00pm to 10.00pm on weekends and bank holidays
Rethink Mental Illness
Support and advice for people living with mental illness.
Emotional support, information and guidance for people affected by mental illness, their families and carers.
Survivors of bereavement by Suicide (SOBS)
Sara on 07946 527 834
Sarah on 07946 527 606
Ed on 07484 115 555
0739 955 2142
Information on child and adolescent mental health. Services for parents and professionals.